One of the major myths about home-based public charter school education is that children will not have age-appropriate, social interaction opportunities. The Family Support and Student Services Department offers an array of socialization events and outings for our currently enrolled families, prospective families, staff and other members of the PA Virtual community throughout the year.
FAMILY SUPPORT COORDINATOR OUTINGS
Multiple outings are hosted by Family Support Coordinators (FSC’s) each month across the state of Pennsylvania. There are even outings offered in the summer! The nature of these outings vary including community service days, social and educational outings. Some examples of recent outings include:
- Theater events (i.e. ballets, plays)
- Environmental studies
- Roller and Ice Skating Rinks
- Community or regional attractions
- Local Zoos
- State and local parks
- Local Athletic Events
- Educational events partnering with teachers to highlight curriculum areas
FSC COMMUNITY SERVICE OUTREACH
The FSC’s involve families in service learning projects within their local communities. Examples of some of those projects include:
- “Koats for Kids” Program: A parent-led and coordinated service learning activity, with the support of the FSC. Gently worn coats, new hats, scarves and gloves are collected and distributed to children and adults in need.
- Jump for Heart: An FSC coordinated and executed activity in collaboration with the American Heart Association.
- Make A Wish Foundation: FSC’s host several special winter service learning projects. All donations received at these special service learning projects go to the Make-A-Wish Foundation.