National Kids Take over the Kitchen Day is September 13! Cyber school families have an added responsibility that most may not think about – your kitchen is the cafeteria! Day after day of peanut butter and jelly sandwiches can get old, but balancing healthy and cost saving meals can be tough for families. Let your students take over the kitchen with some of these fun meal and snack ideas on September 13 or all year round!
- Plan out snacks and lunches ahead of time to eliminate the endless “what’s for lunch?” loop. Use an app like LaLaLunchbox to organize virtual lunchboxes for each student during the week. The app then makes a grocery list based on your lunch plans so you don’t over buy!
- Have healthy snacks on hand – stocking up on fresh fruit and vegetables is often less expensive than boxes of other food. If you have a snacker with a sweet tooth, but want to avoid full sized candy bars, mix up this simple Lemon Buddies snack, made with Chex Mix Cereal!
- Everyone loves pizza – the beauty of having access to your kitchen and not waiting in line for it means that your students can help you make it! Friday in school cafeterias across the country is traditionally pizza day, why not make Friday in your kitchen Pizza Friday? Change up your normal toppings and check out these 10 Kid-Friendly Pizza Recipes.
- Pick a country, any country! How about Japan? Have students research fun facts about Japanese culture, traditional dishes that are served, and find recipes you could try at home. Making your own sushi is a great way to get the whole family involved and learn about different cultures and cuisines!
- How do you end a perfect meal? Dessert of course! Yogurt popsicles are a great way for each child to customize their personalized pop with their favorite flavors. This simple patriotic recipe calls for blueberries and strawberries, but the possibilities are endless. What fruits would you chose?
PA Virtual families! If you spend September 13, or any other day celebrating National Kids Take Over the Kitchen Day, share your recipes and photos with us on Facebook!