With the temperature on the rise, students are certainly looking forward to the end of the school year.
Parents, while you may not be quite as ready for school to finish, this might be the time of year you are planning your summer family vacation or trip. This blog series will give you a few ideas to subtly sneak in some learning opportunities for your children over the summer:
Idea 1: Zoos and Aquariums
From big cats and nocturnal bats, a zoo trip is a great way to sneak in some learning this summer. A zoo visit lets your children explore the lifestyles of various animals without even realizing they might actually be learning something on summer vacation. Many zoos and aquariums offer daily activities and learning programs for children of all ages. Websites may also alert you to feeding or social times for different animals, popular exhibits, and special opportunities to experience the animals up close and personal.
In Pennsylvania, you can pick from any of the following:
- Philadelphia Zoo (Philadelphia, PA)
- Camden Aquarium (Camden, NJ)
- Pittsburgh Zoo & PPG Aquarium (Pittsburgh, PA)
- Erie Zoo & Botanical Gardens (Erie, PA)
- Lehigh Valley Zoo (Schnecksville, PA)
- Claws ‘n’ Paws Animal Park (Upstate, PA)
- ZooAmerica (Hershey, PA)
- Animaland Zoological Park of the Pennsylvania Wilds (Wellsboro, PA)
- Elmwood Park Zoo (Norristown, PA)
- Lake Tobias Wildlife Park (Halifax, PA)
If your vacation takes you outside the Commonwealth, here is a great list of the Most Visited Zoo’s Across the Country!