Positively Throughout the Year
At this time of the year parents everywhere are making the same resolutions for the New Year we’ve all heard before – eat better, lose weight etc. Some parents may be happy with how things have gone with their children this year, but others might be looking to make some changes. Take a moment to reflect – how have you handled tough situations this year? What could you have done better? Here are a few ways parents can go above and beyond making the “normal” resolutions this year family focused:
- Celebrating Family Milestones: Outside of birthdays and holidays, how much emphasis does your family put on celebrating the little things? During 2016 pick a few milestones your family can celebrate that reflect an important mark in your child’s education or personal growth. Depending on your children’s ages, anything from finishing a book to a college acceptance is a major milestone! Before you think you have to go and celebrate everything – keep it within reason. Set a goal for your children (receiving a certain score on a test) and plan the celebration (cooking their favorite meal) beforehand.
- Create “You” Time Once a Week: Parenting isn’t easy. Everyone needs a little detox time after the holidays, but creating time for you is important year round. Take as much or as little time as you like, but making sure it sticks is key. Whether you need a few minutes and a cappuccino alone, or a few hours to watch your favorite football team, makes sure your family knows what time is “mom time” or “dad time.” Unplug for a bit, and you will soon see the benefits of a regular recharge.
- Build Your Parent Network: We all want our kids to be socialized – but what about you? In your hometown or online, you can make a resolution to build your parent network this year! Being active in your community is just one way to create this new friend group. PA Virtual offers several online opportunities for parents to connect with other parents through the school. Our New Parent Orientation and Parent Learning Sessions bring together parents from all over the commonwealth. These can help introduce you to other parents and families who are just entering the world of online learning, or those who have been here for years.
- Evaluate Organization: Feeling like you just couldn’t keep up with crazy schedules this fall? Planning is everything – creating a family calendar is a quick and easy way to let everyone know where everyone is. This can be handwritten in a traditional calendar, on a whiteboard, or use an app on your phone like Cozi! Who needs the car when, and who is responsible for driving little ones places can be seen at a glance.
- Bonus tip! Work meal planning into your family calendar. Meals bring families together – planning ahead so your family knows what nights they will be eating a home cooked meal, take out or leftovers can eliminate everyone’s least favorite question, “what’s for dinner?”
Resolve this year to show your children that family and love are your priorities.
Feel free to share your New Year’s resolutions and stories with us!