For most high schools, Prom is less than a month away. Many seniors have already picked their dates and their outfits, and are anxiously awaiting this special event. For those of you who haven’t gotten everything quite worked out yet- we got you covered!
This day is meant to be special and also very fun; it’s truly a celebration of finishing high school before you move on to the next phase in your life and getting to spend this special time with all of your friends and classmates. Don’t stress and make sure to enjoy the day!
Girl’s Guide to Prom
- Prom dress shopping can be stressful- and expensive but it doesn’t have to be!
If you live in the Philly area, Salon Blush is offering free prom dress rentals. If you are in need of a prom dress, please call Salon Blush at 215-634-1606 to make an appointment to pick out your dress. See more at: http://philly.happeningmag.com/donate-prom-dresses#sthash.WXkyRCSK.dpuf
- There is no need to break the bank on a dress. Find something that you feel comfortable and confident in. Take a look at your local thrift store or consignment shop- many times girls donate their dresses after prom. Many of these dresses have only been worn once.
- Many girls choose to get their hair done at a salon before prom. If you don’t have time, or wish to do your hair yourself there are many tutorials available to instruct you. The links below provide many great ideas on do it yourself prom hairstyles
Makeup & Nails
- When in doubt, keep it simple. Again there are many makeup tutorials available to give you the perfect prom look.
- Many times girls choose to get their nails done for prom. If you’d like to do it yourself, gel nail polish offers a very polished look (Ha!).
- Traditionally girls give their prom dates a boutonnière. A boutonnière is a floral decoration worn by men, typically a single flower or bud. Boutonnière is the French word for “buttonhole”. These can be ordered in advance in the floral department of many grocery stores.
Guy’s Guide to Prom
- Guys typically wear a tux or a suit to prom. These can be rented or purchased. Guys can also wear dress pants, a dress shirt, blazer and tie.
- Guys can also take a look at their local thrift store or consignment shop for prom wear.
- The tie and handkerchief give the opportunity for expression. Guys typically choose to match the color of their tie/handkerchief to their date’s dress color.
- Ties are fun because they are so many varieties. Skinny ties, traditional, bow ties, stripes, polka dots- there is so much to choose from! Have fun with it!
- Here a quick reference on how to tie a tie- they provide many other knot options too!
- A corsage is a small bouquet of flowers traditionally worn on a woman’s wrist at prom.
- These can be ordered in advance in many grocery stores’ floral department.
- Have a great time!