Here are some fun ideas about how you can celebrate Apple Crunch Day and National Apple Month!
- Watch this video for “The Apple Song” and get it stuck in your head all day.
- Learn about Johnny Appleseed.
- Make “Inside-Out Caramel Apples” or one of the other great recipes found on MommyPoppins.com.
- Read a book about apples. For the younger set, we like Ten Apples Up On Top! By Dr. Seuss. For older readers, try The Apple and the Arrow by Mary and Conrad Buff.
- Have an apple tasting party! Buy a variety of apples and taste each one, comparing their look, smell, texture, and taste. Declare the best tasting apple the winner!
- Go apple picking. Many local orchards allow customers to pick their own apples, so find your local orchard and go!
- Play Apples to Apples. This fun game asks participants to match an adjective card from their hand to the noun card for the round. You’ll definitely giggle at some of the combinations players come up with! (A junior version is available.)
- Print with apples. Did you know that when you cut an apple in half horizontally you find a star inside? Apple halves work great for making apple-print pictures, wrapping paper, and more. Stick a fork in the uncut side of each apple half, dip in paint, and then press on.
- Play “Hot Apple.”Just like hot potato, pass the apple around and when the leader shouts, “Hot Apple!” whoever is holding the apple is it. That person gets to be the leader and calls “Hot Apple” in the next game.
- Read and think about the poem “After Apple Picking” by Robert Frost.
What ideas do you have about how to celebrate? Tell us here! Or post it on our Facebook page!